Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hardwood vs. Vinyl Flooring

Building a house? Renovating?

Considering Hardwood floors? Considering DARK hardwood floors??

Well then READ on my friend!!

I thought I LOVED hardwood floors. I mean they look amazing! We didn't build our home, this is how it came, and to me it was one of my favorite features of the home...how I would have done it if we had BUILT it ourselves! The AMAZING cappuccino hardwood floors! I loved the contrast of them against our light maple cabinets, and almost white carpets. I fell in LOVE with these floors.

...Well let me tell you, that lasted about a week!!!

We had a puppy when we first moved into our home COOKIE...

here she is all cute... on the hardwood floors

She would go outside to do her business and come back in with mud caked onto her little paws, and get it all over my floors. 

I learned very quickly 2 things. 1. The floors SUCK and are terribly hard to clean. 2. It was time to say goodbye to our puppy - who I miss to this day! (there were other reasons for her departure besides her messy paws)

I find the only way to clean them is to first remove any dirt, spills etc with a damp cloth or mop. Second use the BONA spray and mop... third get down on your hands and knees with a microfiber cloth and dry the floors, leaving them streak free and beautifully clean!! HA!!

Not even kidding, it takes me about 45 minutes to clean my floors - and I only make it to the second step before I am completely tired.

And really - 45 minutes. I have a 3 YEAR OLD! It takes 2 seconds after those 45 minutes to dirty them right back up again!!!!!

SO...once these floors have had it VINYL is going in. YES you read right!! VINYL!
WHY???

Easy to clean 
They make "hardwood" looking vinyl (my neighbor has them & they look awesome) 
They can handle spills 
Are waterproof
Will not shrink and expand with the weather... and let's face it we are in Winnipeg. 
THAT HAPPENS A LOT!!

So if you are still on the fence... C'mon over and take a look at my floors yourself. And then check out my neighbors...tell her I sent ya!!!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Hey Erynn
I just came across your blog again. Yeah for updates :)
I have light maple wood floor and when you get the right lighting the dirt sure can show so I can just imagine with the dark what it is like.
I find that running a vaccume over it and then just mopping with vinegar and water leaves them super clean and streak free (let alone with the water and vingar I don't worry about chemicals for the kids).
I look forward to checking your blog more.
Sheri